Monday 17 June 2013

Work!

Ok, work has been insanely busy for the past few months. So many late nights and weekends at the office. It hasn't left me with a lot of time for games. However, I got back into the swing of things a few weeks ago.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops
Standard entry in the COD series: soldier shoots people in exotic locations. The gameplay was solid but uninspired. It didn't bring anything new to the table. The setting was different, but I'm not a huge fan of Vietnam era military weapons. The "plot twist" was somewhat predictable too and the the single player campaign was far too short. I'll give it a 6.5/10.

FTL: Faster Than Light
I started playing this after a co-worker recommended it. It's a nice little indie game from Subset Games. You  control of a ship and try to make across several sector of space while a huge armada is chasing you. Along the way, there are random encounters with space pirates, slavers, etc. There are several ways to customize your ship, i.e. you can focus on engines, shields, weapons and various other subsystems. The gameplay is simple, yet refreshing. Each game only lasts 30-45 mins. You either beat the game or die. So far, I've only died. Even at Easy, it's an incredibly difficult game. I've gotten to the end boss several times, but cannot make it more than 25% into the final battle. The graphics aren't that great but they're acceptable. I'll probably shelve this game for now...8.5/10

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
I was a huge fan of the original Deus Ex, so I was really looking forward to the latest instalment of the series. 3 hrs in and it's lived up to my lofty expectations. The graphics look fantastic, especially the HUD. The story and voice acting are engaging as well. The game has a heavy stealth element to it, but I've abandoned it completely. Going in guns blazing!

My only complaint, and this is going to sound weird, is the nausea. I can't play for more than 30 mins without getting dizzy and wanting to puke all over my keyboard. I don't know what's going in. In 30+ years of gaming, this never happened to me. Maybe I'll take some Gravol before my next Deus Ex session.

No comments:

Post a Comment